Friday 30 January 2015

Exo skeleton

In the 6 months since I left Singapore, my levels of neuropathic pain and spasticity have increased substantially. The main causes, I'm told, are the colder weather here in the UK and the constant stair climbing in the house we chose for our first year in Bath. These issues have worsened my gait - less knee lift, more toe drop, less stability, greater trip risk, and now I walk with a stick, having gone more than two years without any walking aids. I think this is temporary, and I'm working with my physio on a program that is helping, but I need to find a way through this as soon as I can, and to get back on track.

Today I start a 10 session program with an exo skeleton. The exo is a wearable, bionic suit originally deigned for military applications but now also used to help people with paralysis stand, walk and retrain step patterns. Here's a link to the developer's web site.
http://intl.eksobionics.com

There are several reports that users are experiencing other improvements with SCI issues - bowel and bladder control, pain and spasticity. Its very early days for the technology and there are no clinical studies and no guarantees, but there is hope that it will help me.

I'll post videos and updates as I go. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment