Wednesday 29 February 2012

29 February - home coming

Its taken me a few days longer than expected to type this - and I'm glad it did.


I ended last week feeling a bit low. My tone had increased and my body was very tight. It was difficult to really get going during the last couple of days in the gym. I know it sounds crazy to say this about a week that began with me driving a car, going to yoga for the first time, running on the treadmill at 7mph and running the length of the gym, but the last couple of days felt like a bit of an anti climax. I think there were several factors at play. Physical tiredness was one - no surprise after 6 weeks of intensive hard work, several nights of mixed up sleep and so not enough stretching.  Emotional fatigue was another - missing my family, friends and home, the uncertainty of moving on to the next stage etc.


So I'm glad that I waited to type this, because now I can tell you that after a few days back home I'm really beginning to see the benefits of my time at PW.  Yesterday I went back to my regular gym for the first time and rolled out the training routine David, Genny and Steve built for me, which includes many exercises (lunges, squats, line jumps, dead lifts etc, etc) that I simply could not do six weeks ago. I then I got back on the treadmill. There's no harness here, so I can't do the over speeding work and can't expect to reach the speeds I reached at PW, but I was very pleased with how I walked compared to before I left. Today I did one of the outdoor walks I did regularly before PW - it felt significantly faster (the timer on my phone played up, so I'm not sure by how much), but more importantly my gait felt more stable, relaxed and confident. And something has changed this evening at home - hard to describe except to say I feel much more aligned, balanced and stronger.


And, of course, I've had the joy of getting back home to the family. Ali and the kids met me at 6am at the airport. I'd called home before leaving LAX. Max told me he wasn't going to come to Changi - no way he was getting up at that time in the morning, and he'd rather stay in bed, he said!! But I'd had a tip off that he said that so that he could surprise me when I arrived!! He did come, of course, though he still had his pyjamas on under his clothes!! Amy told me she definitely was coming, but she was worried about having enough time to brush her hair before leaving the house. Boys and girls, eh!! They were waiting with a big, bright "welcome home daddy" sign, which Amy made (with a bit of help from Ali). 


So today I'm feeling good again - about a great 6 weeks at PW, about where my recovery stands now, and about where it will go next. My goals 6 weeks ago were to strengthen areas of muscular weakness, reduce my tightness and make my gait more efficient, smoother and faster. I'm now significantly stronger in most areas. There are some areas that need more work, but they are relatively few and I'm clear on what needs to be done and have a training program to help me do it. Tone remains a big challenge. I'm probably tighter now than 6 weeks ago, but I think that's starting to ease a bit as I settle back into home and a regular stretching routine. My gait has improved - I still have some challenges on my right side, but the improvement is significant and I'll continue to gain as I strengthen my hamstrings, anterior tibs and glutes. The goals I set six weeks ago did not include jumping and running - but I got started with that, which feels fantastic, and will build on that. And whilst PW does not specifically treat hands, and though mine still have tone and tightened during my gym work outs, the stretching I've done over the last 6 weeks does seem to have helped my left hand in particular. 


I don't yet know how to best structure my training now I'm home - which therapists, which facilities, how to supplement my PW program etc? That will start fall into place over the next few days, I'm sure, but will also re-shape when I return to work (hopefully in the next couple of weeks or so). 


I had a long good bye at PW last Friday morning, taking time to say farewell to new friends. Here are some of clients who were around on Friday morning. These peoplere-define determination, courage and belief , as do all the PW clients, . Best of luck to you guys and all the other clients and carers I met - keep in touch and see you soon, I hope.

Janece with Yoshi

Russ and Trevor
Brenda getting walking, with Mike, Andy and Laurent 
Tonje and her mum, Britney


I said this to the PW staff last week, but I'll say it again publicly - you've helped change my life, and I can't think of a better way to say thank you than that (save perhaps, David, for a few bottles of Jose Cuervo and Johnnie Walker Blue!!) 


Genny
Steve
David



Mica




Michael



Jes, Joy and Alicia


Kassie

Derek and Edna came to Carlsbad on Friday to drive me back to LAX. Here's our good bye at the airport, plus a photo of Derek near home in Palos Verde on my first day in California 6 weeks ago. This is were they settled many years ago - you can see why they took a shine to it! 





Leaving LAX, with Edna and Derek
Derek, at home in Palos Verde, on my first day in CA














































Here are a few videos from my last session with David on Thursday. He didn't send me the one where I landed on my butt! 









I've always said since the day of my accident that I believe I will make a full recovery. The progress I've made over the last 8 months, including the big gains in the last 6 weeks, have strengthened that belief. This will still be bloody hard work for a long time to come, but I know I can do it and I know that, at some point in the future, it will start to get easier.  I need inspiration, from time to time. This amazing clip was sent to me this week by my friend Rajan. 


I'm not 33 and I'm no former gymnast and can't hope to reach that level, but that will keep me inspired for a long time to come!! Its also what Ali has searched for ever since my accident - proof that a full recovery is possible.

Rajan also sent this video, to add to the incredible stories of bravery and determination I've seen these last few months. 



Some of you know that Rajan is also recovering from a C-level SCI from an accident last May. His recovery has been very strong, stronger than mine in many respects. He told me today that he's now back on a bike, running up to 800m and hoping to run a 5k in May! He has given me huge support through his comments my blog and Skype messages whilst I was away. Rajan, I hope you don't mind me sharing this, as a way to say a public thank you for your support - and for continuing to inspire and motivate me.

I'll keep my blog going, as a few people have asked me to - and will post updates every month or so. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Paul!

    It's such a beautiful story. Yours, others in similar positions, the fight, the success, the unseen but felt struggles (personal & emotional), the triumphs, the loss, the iron will & hope.

    Thank you for sharing your story with us. Thank you for reminding me what's really important & how much we all have to be grateful for, every day.

    All the best, Alwats,
    Viv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! Must be a great feeling! Huge congrats on what you've achieved. Loved the vid. To see where he started and was back doing gymnastics again. Incredible! Hope life just keeps improving now you're home. Love to Ali and the kids. Si

    ReplyDelete