Thursday 2 February 2012

Week 3 - Thurs 02 Feb - a new gait emerging?

I had an enjoyable and busy day off yesterday. I met Anne and Steve Hocknell, friends of my in laws who happen to be in Carlsbad visiting their son and family. They took me south down the coast to Leucadia, where we stopped for coffee before checking out Moonlight Beach, a fantastic surf beach, and then heading back to an outlet mall in Carlsbad - I bought some clothes for the kids, and spied some other shops that merit another trip at the weekend. Late afternoon was spent at a well known, traditional barbers, adding some local flavour; and in the evening I got to know one of the PW clients and her sister over dinner.


I walked back home from the barbers. That was about a 25 minute walk. My gait felt better - more stable, less effort and I was able to maintain a fairly consistent gait over most of that distance, showing improving stamina. Here's a shot of me walking at the end of today's 3 hour session with Steve. I've also included the video from day one, so that you can compare the two. Hopefully you can see what Steve and I saw - increased stability in the right ankle; a bend in the right knee and less (or no) hyper-extension; less stiffness in the right leg; less of a hoik of the right hip; narrower foot placement; increased speed. That's good progress. I still have loads of work to do - but another three weeks in which to build on the progress so far. I think I'm in a good position. 


Here's one of the exercises done today to strengthen and loosen my pelvis and hip flexors.


5 comments:

  1. Dear Daddy - before you used to be wobbling when you were walking but now you are walking better. Love Amy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Guess who was in control of the keyboard for that last bit?? Anway, subtle changes but looking better. Keep it up - you are doing really well. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks much smoother and fluid...great to see the day 1 comparison! Must egg you on to look back at these and see how far you have come! Love Amy's post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That definitely looks much more stable and smoother all round - they certainly seem to work you hard but it's paying off helped by your determination and will to progress so keep going! Can we have a clip of you as Hellraiser please?!

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. superb! definitely visible changes - keep it up. cheers rajan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to hear more about the rolfing. I have been wanting to explore that for a while. Great to hear you making new friends and getting out and about. Yes differences are clearly visible- huge since I last saw you in person in mid December. Denise

    ReplyDelete